Tuesday, October 5, 2010

T-319 Days

Day 1 has come and gone.  Having slept on it a bit, the magnitude of the undertaking is beginning to settle in.  One of the biggest challenges (ignoring the distance) will be the altitude.  I'm not sure how to train for that in north Texas.  Still, I'm excited!

My teammate, Willie Skinner, and I are runners from way back.  We've competed at a fairly high level since our junior high school days in central Texas.  We ran competitively in college.  We've done some events post college (an ex-marine, he has completed the odd marathon or two and I've done some triathlons and cycling), but nothing like this.

Our first step is prepare to prepare.  To do so, we'll look for a suitable training program and training gear.  I know I've got to get some new running shoes.  Having trained and raced in Brooks and Nike's in the past, I'll probably go that direction.  I'm thinking I'll need at least 2 pair of shoes for the actual event, but I don't have to deal with that yet. 

So goal 1 is to get some gear and have my first training run in this weekend.  I want to log my runs, distance and time, and even take some weights and measures of my body.  Maybe some notes on diet too.  It'll be interesting to see the effects this will have on us.

If anyone has any training regimens for ultra-distance running events, let me know.  All tips welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment