Sunday, October 17, 2010

T-308 Days

Training

Glad you had great conditions Willie.  It was awesome here as well, but we lack the mountain backdrop you enjoyed.  I got up early and ran just as the sun was coming up.  It was definitely cool and I needed a serious stretch before I went out.  My right calf was tight all yesterday and felt really sore as I got up.  I expected it to be an issue on the run, but once I got moving it felt great.  I was very pleased with that. 

The socks are tremendous.  I've been using them since I started back and they seem to be completely as advertised.  I don't see a reason to try anything else.  The laces on my Asics are offset rather than down the middle of my foot and I believe that that helps them stay super comfortable.  Also, they are truly in use now as they are dirty.  I guess I hit some mud.  They're no longer the pristine shoes I like, but it had to happen eventually.


Everything was working well except I must have done something wrong with my Nike +.  It registered a 33 minute mile pace which I know is WAY off.  I walk backwards faster than that.  For perspective, most people walk a mile in 15 to 20 minutes (which I think is slow as I'm a type A walker).

Time of Day - About 7 AM
Weather - Cool, low 60's or upper 50's
Route - Dowell loop near home
Distance - Not sure
Pace - Guessing about 8:00
Time - 28 minutes active running, more warm up, stretch and cool down (a minute + faster than yesterday)
iPod - Flyleaf, selected tracks from "Flyleaf" & "Memento Mori".  Local Texas alt metal band that made good.  Very aggressive, great vocals, good message.
Comments - Great run.  Didn't push myself too hard, but focused on visualization techniques and form.  With the hills I reminded myself to keep my forearms relaxed and to lower them when descending.  You have to keep your wrists and hands relaxed and loose as well.  If not, form suffers, the tightness creeps into your shoulders and it makes you labor to move crisply.  Not good.  Fortunately, my form isn't an issue.  I'm really pleased with how this is coming along.  Now if I can only calibrate my Nike +....

No comments:

Post a Comment