Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dash Down Greenville and Catching Up

I've not posted for several days so now is the time to catch up. It's been a bit discouraging with my continued hip problem as going backwards in fitness is not something I can afford. Taking additional time off in an attempt to heal a potentially chronic issue is not something I want to do, but I feel compelled to do it anyway. As Willie and I both know, patience is not my strong suit.

T Minus 161 Days

A beautiful Saturday! Although I hadn't trained in about a week, I'd made plans to run with the family in the Dash Down Greenville 5K, so I had to give it a try. There we 7 thousand participants and many wore St. Patrick's Day themed costume. My initial steps were sore and choppy as the hip was not cooperating. After a bit it loosened some and I completed a rather leisurely 5K in about 25 minutes, about an 8 minute mile pace in the crowd. It was slow going but we all had fun. Everyone finished well, I ran into my nephew, Matthew, and saw a few friends along the way.

My main concern was not injuring myself further. All seemed fine until Sunday, when my hip was more sore and stiff and I was somewhat gimpy. This is definitely an event that I want to do again when I'm at full health.






A parade down Greenville Avenue followed the run, complete with bands, floats and food.  It was a great time.


No comments:

Post a Comment