Thursday, February 10, 2011

T-191 Days

There's still some patchy snow and ice out and last night we got down to 12 degrees. It's plenty cold still. The weather afforded me the opportunity to work from home and get some training in at the YMCA as well. Today was a true training milestone, as is indicated in the comments below. I feel great and I'm happy with my conditioning level at this stage of my training. Still a long way to go.

Time of Day - 10:30 AM
Weather - Mid teens out, nice and warm in
Route - Treadmill at the Y
Pace - 9:50 min/mile; fairly easy
Heart Rate - 134 about 5 miles in, 150 at 9 miles in, 163 following a pretty hard quarter mile kick to finish
Time - 2:08:00 (hours)
Distance - 13.25 miles, slightly in excess of a half-marathon (Hey Brad, it's got to be the socks!)
iPod - Rolling Stones, "Some Girls" & Brown Sugar; Taking Back Sunday, "New Again"; perhaps an unusual mix but it works for me
Comments - I ran for an hour yesterday and felt strong and fresh at the finish. Today I wanted to do at least as much clock time. As I got into it, I decided to keep on going, just to gauge my fitness.  Before too long, I decided to go for a half marathon distance (13.1 miles), knowing that this would take several hours at the reasonable pace I was working. My body felt good through the run. After an hour and a half, my left upper traps got a little tight, but no big deal. I made it fine, and felt like I could have kept on going for a while. My legs gave me no trouble and my problems with my right hip flexor seem to be history.

I'm actually pretty proud of what I did today.  I haven't really been training consistently for very long and this provides a measure of confidence that I'm on track and I've still got some ability.  My legs are a little tight after sitting for a while now, but no major issues. I think I'll take tomorrow as a rest day and get back after it Saturday.  Overall, I'm slow but pleased. 

No comments:

Post a Comment