Friday, February 11, 2011

Gatorade G Series

I've been messing around with some nutritional supplements, mainly in the form of Clif Bars and Gatorade products.  Running certainly makes you hungry.

Gatorade recently introduced the G Series, a three product set designed to fuel your body before, during and after a workout.  I thought I'd give G 02 Perform and G 03 Recover a try.

I took a bottle of G 02 with me for my run yesterday. It's basically the original Gatorade that I've used for years.  Featuring sodium, potassium and carbs, it's great at maintaining proper hydration and cramp prevention. G 02 tastes great too.  Featuring 14g of carbs per serving, G 02 gives you plenty of what you need to keep you going. I remain a fan.

G 03 is another matter altogether. Gatorade bills 03 as the "first protein and carbohydrate post-exercise recovery drink formulated to quench your thirst while providing hydration and muscle-recovery benefits". It contains 7g of carbs and 8g of protein per serving.  Both products are fat free.

I drank and entire bottle of G 02 during my run and was never thirsty.  There was no cramping either, so I feel that this is an effective product.  Afterwards I hit the G 03.  While G 03 undoubtedly has the proper ingredient mix to fulfill its promise of an easier recovery, it misses the mark on taste.  Maybe its an acquired taste, but I found it less than appealing.  A quick chug and it was down, but I'd prefer a product that provided the stated recovery benefits without the aftertaste.  I guess we all have to suffer for our art.

No comments:

Post a Comment