Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Training

Today's run was more of a challenge. My calves felt a slight bit tight and after what Willie went through, I didn't want to hurt myself. Pretty quickly I could tell that today would not be as strong as the previous runs.  My legs were heavy and I wanted to quit. To combat this, I decided to mix up my route and just run due north for 20+ minutes and see where that got me. When I arrived at my appointed time, I knew that the fastest way home was to turn around and keep on going. No short cuts. Sometimes you have to play games with yourself.  I got a decent 45 minute run in.

It reminded me of high school time trials where the coach would send us on a run to a point 3 or so miles out and we'd kill ourselves to get there in the Texas heat. Once there, we'd then run all the way back to the showers. Most memorable was the time we caught a ride in the back of a pickup truck all the way to school. Let's just say that didn't go over well.

Today was another beautiful day, clear and crisp, temperature of about 43. A great day to be outside.

Willie, here's a challenge for you.  Let's not cut our hair until the race. If we don't make the race (other than due to injury or emergency) we might not be able to cut our hair until the next year's race!  This would surely be the longest I've ever gone without a hair cut and I'm fairly certain the same can be said of you.  What do you think?  Before you ask, there is no significant purpose to this.  It just sounds like something fun to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment